RIDASCREEN® SET Total is a sandwich enzyme immunoassay for the combined detection of Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxins A, B, C, D and E in fluid and solid foods as well as in bacterial cultures.
The main causative agent of food poisoning are enterotoxins of Staphylococcus aureus next to the intoxication with Salmonella. Among the strains of Staphylococcus aureus other Staphylococci species as S. hyicus and S. intermedius are able to produce one or more heat stable proteins which behave like enterotoxins.
Generally, it is assumed that a population of 5 x 105 cells of enterotoxin-producing Staphylococcus aureus strains per gram of food is required to lead to an intoxication. However, other studies showed that only 100 – 200 ng of Staphylococcus enterotoxins can lead to symptoms of food poisoning.
SET intoxications have been frequently associated with pasta, finished meat products, ham, pies, chicken meat products, fish, fish products, milk, milk products, ice-cream, egg products, salads, pastries and cake stuffing as well as preparations from these food products. The enterotoxins of the serological groups A, B, C, D and E are very significant.
- Official European Screening Method for Staphylococcus enterotoxins.
- Europe-wide ring study according to ISO 16140.
- 2 package sizes available: for 48 determinations and 96 determinations.
|Test format||Microtiter plate with 48 wells (6 strips with 8 breakable wells each),|
|Sample preparation||„Official European Preparation Method“ (dialysis concentration method) or|
|Incubation time||2 h 45 min|
|LOD (Detection limit)||Simplified working up:|
- Liquid samples: 0.25 ng toxin / ml sample,
- Solid samples: 0.375 ng toxin / g sample,
- Supernatants from bacterial cultures: 0.25 ng toxin / ml sample.
- Liquid samples: 0.05 ng toxin / ml sample,
- Solid samples: 0.05 ng toxin / g sample.
Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxins A, B, C, D, E in total
|Evaluation||Microtiter plate spectrophotometer|
|Approvals||Official European Screening Method for Staphylococcal enterotoxins in food.|