Our R-Biopharm christmas recipe this year was submitted by our employee Christine. These peanut-caramel lozenges are delight for the whole family, to be shared under the Christmas tree. Or maybe you could bake a batch of cookies and give them to your friends as a gift? In any case, we hope you enjoy baking them, whatever shape they may take!
Ingredients for the dough:
- 250 g flour
- 125 g butter
- 100 g sugar, extra fine
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch cloves, ground
- 1 pinch nutmeg, grated
- 180° C circulating air
- Approx. 14-15 minutes
Ingredients for the topping:
- 400 g canned condensed milk, sweetened
- 200 g peanuts, unsalted
- 150 g plain jam
- 50 g coconut oil
- 150 g whipped cream
- Rolling pin
- Can opener
- Refractory bowl
- Place the condensed milk can unopened into a saucepan. Heat it in boiling water for 120 minutes. Allow the caramelized condensed milk to cool in the can before opening.
- To prepare the dough, mix the butter with the sugar, egg and spices until it becomes creamy. Add the flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in cling film. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough between 2 layers of baking paper with a rolling pin into a rectangle shape of approx. 28 x 20 cm.
- Remove the top baking paper layer, place the pastry sheet on the baking tray and puncture it several times with a fork.
- Bake the dough in a preheated oven at 180° C until golden brown and allow to cool.
- Finely chop up the unsalted peanuts and mix them with the caramelized condensed milk.
- Spread the peanut-caramel mixture on the dough.
- Chop the caramelized coating up into pieces and mix it together with the chopped coconut fat and the whipped cream in an ovenproof bowl. Melt the mixture in the oven at 70° C. Stir regularly.
- Spread the icing evenly over the caramel mixture and allow the icing to set before cutting it up into small diamonds.
It is essential that the condensed milk is sweetened, otherwise it will not caramelize. And do not use salted peanuts, as they will ruin the taste.
It is also helpful to line the pot in which the condensed milk is placed to caramelize with baking paper. The pot will vibrate very intensely, and the baking paper serves as a noise barrier.
The lozenges can also be cut only when needed. It is important that the entire baked product is stored in a cool place.
About the author
This homemade recipe comes from our employee Christine Maria Gutschelhofer (European Territory Manager for Food & Feed Analytics). She cooks and bakes for her family & friends and posts her recipes on her Instagram account.
What’s behind her love for baking? “Christmas and smell of baked goods is the perfect year-end combination for me. Indulging others with my homemade cookies is the greatest gift for me.”